Monday, September 2, 2013

More pictures from the weekend

I'm trying to stay on top of updating this, but captions take longer than I'd like them too so here are a bunch of pictures of Galway, the Cathedral (which has Mass on Sundays in Irish that I will definitely be attending soon), the Corrib River, the bay, and the Prom.  Salthill is a beautiful area and I am so happy I got to walk barefoot on the beach--my feet did not get enough sand this summer. 


Lots of fishermen in waders casting out in the river





Comic Sans is everywhere here, even on this plaque in the Cathedral. Just for those of you who don't know Comic Sans is a terrible font that doesn't belong anywhere but an elementary school classroom. 






















This place is a cute little tearoom that we had tea and scones at.  Cupan Tae means "cup of tea" in Irish (they also call it Irish here, not Gaelic).

I lit a prayer candle at the Cathedral


Amazing donut vendor at the farmer's market, who told us that he doesn't understand America's obsession with "food with holes in it" but that we're putting his kids through school, so "thanks a million."  Delicious donuts made fresh right in front of you!




Like I said before, Fanta is a big deal






The William Smith Mascot is the Herons so we've been very excited to see anything that has to do with them!  I was lucky enough to see some down near the river by campus but I didn't have the camera with me then.

This is hard to see but it is a waterpolo-kayak field.  Can't wait to see what it looks like when players are there.


Kicking the Prom wall again




The Swamp











Memorial to men lost at sea for the Republic



Dipping my toes in the Atlantic for the first time from this side of the pond!










And last but not least, a butterfly for Mimi.  She's everywhere!

Classes start up this week so students can shop around before registration so I'll keep you all posted on what I end up taking!
Mary

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures, Mary. Can't wait to see all this myself!! Comic Sans is my favorite font though!
    Love Mary Melly

    ReplyDelete