Monday, November 4, 2013

Glen Hansard Concert

I am so behind with posting so I am going to do my absolute best to get up to date in the next few days!  Here is the start of me playing catch up!

Last Tuesday I went to see/hear one of my favorite musicians in concert.  The Town Hall Theatre in Galway was hosting Glen Hansard, and for only 20 euro a ticket, I could not pass up the opportunity to hear him play in such a small venue and in Ireland of all places!  Some of you may know him as one half of the couple in the movie Once, and he has also played as part of The Frames and The Swell Season, however this time he is touring as a solo act.  If you don't know his music please, please, please have a listen; you won't be disappointed.  His voice is very raw and I always think he sounds better live than recorded.  I saw him perform in high school, too, and this time was even better.  Glen used to be a busker (street performer) so his guitars have holes in them from the force with which he has to play. 
The concert was incredible and it was the first time in a long time that I've seen a musician genuinely joyful to be performing, and not treat it as a chore.  He invited his stagehands to join him and was bantering with the audience the whole night.  I am so happy to have had the chance to attend a great show. 
Glen's various guitars; the one on the right with the hole is the one he plays in the movie

Glen Hansard starting his set

Glen invited his sound man of 20 years to join him and his stage hands in singing "The Auld Triangle" and the whole crowd joined in too!

No comments:

Post a Comment