Friday, October 18, 2013

Some things I'm still not used to

By this time, I have been in Ireland for over six weeks, and while I have adjusted to a lot of new cultural differences, there are still quite a few things that leave me baffled, bamboozled, and dumbstruck on a regular basis.  Here are a few:
1)  At least once a day a car passes me that has a dog or a small child in the front seat and my mind begins to panic for a second.  "What is that dog doing in the driver's seat?!"  Then, I do a double take and remember that the dog is in the passenger's side because everything is backwards here (read: wrong).  It doesn't just happen with dogs and kids, though.  I see people reading books, eating with two hands, and even sleeping, in what I think is the driver's seat.  I thought I would get used to seeing this and I would eventually think that the backwards way is normal, but it still gets me.

2)  I get an email telling me to drop off a form on the first floor of such-and-such a building.  So I walk over to the building and search--no, SCOUR the first floor of the building only to realize that I am a nincompoop.  I have been walking around on Level 0, the ground floor.  If I needed to find the first floor, Level 1, I should have walked my American-self up the stairs instead of wandering in desperation on what I thought, logically, was the first floor.  This one I actually have grown to catch on to faster than I used to, but I do still have to think "do they mean the first level or first floor? Or are they trying to confuse me?"

3) Lastly, there is no sidewalk etiquette here!  This one drives me crazy more than anything else I've encountered here.  At home, "stay to the right" is understood and widely accepted as the normal sidewalk or stairs walking practice.  But here in Ireland walking anywhere is a free for all.  Trying to get somewhere fast?  Be prepared to have to awkwardly sidestep at least four people en route to your destination.  At first I thought, "hey, if they drive on the left side, walking on the left would make sense, so I'll do that." Nope.  There is no standard for where to walk, and it is frustrating beyond belief to attempt to get through the grocery store without bumping into trolleys, aisles, and other humans.  And cyclists think they are pedestrians, which is just not okay, because they ride their bikes fast and without regard to people like me who are distracted by the six-year old I just saw driving a car. 

4 comments:

  1. I know what you are talking about, I hated having to drag the pram down the stairs and then bumped into, glared at, shoved around on market day and never never took it into any of the shops. I finally gave up the fight and went back to a stroller! I have loved your blog as we will head to Ireland next year. You are not far from where the Mannion's came from, which I think is exciting.

    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know what your plans for your trip are! If you're in this area at all I can give you some recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh great, we are probably going to do a tour group thing, but I was thrilled to see photos of Trinity College as that is on my list and of course Blarney Castle, I will not be kissing the stone though!!! Today at therapy I talked to a lady who has been to Ireland 3 times and she just raved about it, her family is from N. Ireland and of course mine is S. Ireland. I would just love to see how many Mannion's I can run into, as there aren't many here. When do you return home?.

      Delete
  3. I come home in a little bit less than 2 months

    ReplyDelete